Sunday, August 26, 2012

Indelible Grace

From The Trinity Hymnal, 1990:
A Debtor to Mercy Alone 
1 A debtor to mercy alone,Of covenant mercy I sing;Nor fear, with thy righteousness on,My person and off'ring to bring.The terrors of law and of GodWith me can have nothing to do;My Saviour's obedience and bloodHide all my transgressions from view. 
2 The work which his goodness began,The arm of his strength will complete;His promise is Yea and Amen,And never was forfeited yet.Things future, nor things that are now,Nor all things below or above,Can make him his purpose forgo,Or sever my soul from his love. 
3 My name from the palms of his handsEternity will not erase;Impressed on his heart it remains,In marks of indelible grace.Yes, I to the end shall endure,As sure as the earnest is giv'n;More happy, but not more secure,The glorified spirits in heav'n. 
Written by Augustus Montague Toplady, 1740-1778

Notice the first stanza shows the imputed righteousness of Christ to us. Stanza two shows the Godward side of our security in Him and stanza three shows based on the truths of the first two stanzas, we will endure to the end. 
What a beautiful and comforting hymn!

No comments:

Post a Comment